Certifying Documents

If Allah wills, we’ll be leaving Yemen this year and as such we’ve been trying to get our paperwork in order for our new destination.  For my husband’s company to sponsor us, we have to get a certified copy of our marriage certificate. In case you have to do that (or certify another type of document (company bylaws, powers of attorney, trademarks, diplomas, transcripts, distributorship agreements, articles of incorporation, good standing certificates, home studies, letters of reference etc.), here’s a little heads up as it took me some time to figure out exactly what I needed to do.


1. After getting a copy from the country recorder’s office of the county where the marriage took place, the copy(ies) had to be mailed to the state department of the state where the marriage took place.  I just googled to find the web address for the appropriate state.  Look for the state’s notary public or other office that certifies documents.

2. Next, it had to go to the US State Department. Here’s the page that explains what you need to do:  http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/index.htm. I’m providing this because it took me so long to find this particular page, so insha Allah, I can make it easier for someone else.

3. You include a self addressed stamped envelope or prepaid airbill for them to return it/mail it to where you need it to go.


So, hope that helps…………..